Depression is modern social evil. We get depressed of so many things that often the whole life seems to be the source of misery. But is everything really so bad or we just take it that seriously? I believe it is our wrong perception of reality that makes us feel depressed. And that means by changing the perception we can change the way feel. Doing this is quite easy. Read 50 ways to feel happier and try at least 15(LAST FIVE IS A MUST DO) of them to achieve the goal.
1. Go for a walk every day and spend no less than 20-30 minutes in the open air. When I say ‘go for a walk’ it means you should just walk, with no purpose, and enjoy the process. Hurrying to the office or the supermarket doesn’t count.
2. Spend at least 8 hours for sleep that is essential for the organism to function well. You’ll feel more optimistic when you wake up.
3. Find time for listening to soft music, meditating, dreaming. While doing that forget about your problems and just think positively.
4. Don’t restrict yourself with socializing with people of your age only. Talk to children and old people and you will see how different visions of life can be. Life will seem brighter and more interesting to you!
5. Spend some time alone. Sit in a quiet place and concentrate on your feelings and sensations. Do it daily.
6. Participate in games, both mind and active ones. Play ball with your child, do crosswords, find something that’s different from what you do on the regular basis.
7. Learn a foreign language. Listen to songs in it, watch films. If you feel it necessary start teaching a language you already know. You’ll have a chance to talk to people that do not belong to your usual social sphere.
8. Forgive everybody for everything. The main thing here is to forgive people in your soul. You don’t have to tell everyone that you’ve forgiven them, do it for yourself.
9. Don’t try to forget your sadness by working hard. This won’t help. According to Freud it will just sublimate but in the end you’ll start to hate your job.
10. Go to a club, dance, make new friends.
11. When you wake in the morning don’t jump up from the bed. Lie for a while, luxuriate and dream about your good future.
12. Introduce three ‘E’s into your life: Enthusiasm, Energy and Empathy
13. Become the soul of your company, try to entertain your close people, familiars and even strangers. You’ll have some great fun!
14. Read more books. Don’t think that only losers read books. Education and erudition are valuable now. Besides, you’ll enjoy opening new worlds.
15. Experts say you must have good breakfast and lunch while dinner isn’t that important. This is right, of course, but each organism is different. So, it’s you who knows best when to eat and what to eat. Indulge yourself with delicacies from time to time.
16. Don’t focus on things you already own for a long time. Try something new: makeup, perfume, clothing, etc. It will make you happy, believe me!
17. Don’t remember about bad incidents in your past and don’t remind people around you about those. Live here and now.
18. Want to talk? Call your friends (even if you haven’t talked to them for ages). Ask how they are doing, what the news is. It will help you feel involved, and get along with others.
19. Smile if you feel sad. Do it even if it requires lots of effort. It will improve your mood.
20. If you have a chance, eat fruit right from trees, vegetables – from patches, and milk from cows. Experts say that it’s isolation from nature that is the source of our problems and dissatisfaction with life.
21. Drink more water.
22. If you can’t change the situation leave it as it is and don’t worry. Once I’ve read one man’s statement that made me think about worrying differently. He said: “If I’m being operated it’s surgeon who has to worry, not me. I can’t do anything.”
23. Take aroma baths, indulge yourself with aroma candles and spa procedures.
24. Draw! Don’t say you can’t. Now any pictures are considered creative.
25. Start watching an interesting serial and you’ll have a few happy nights.
26. Change the environment. Walk in places you have never walked, visit another city. If you can afford traveling find time for that.
27. Be closer to nature – lie on the grass, in the snow, sand; bathe in the sea or river; pick berries and mushrooms.
28. Visit concerts, exhibitions, cinemas – in brief, be a part of society.
29. No one will make you happy except you.
30. Get rid of hatred. What’s the sense in spending your life for hating someone?
31. Don’t be too exacting to yourself. If you can’t do something today, you’ll do it tomorrow.
32. Find strength to laugh at your own mistakes the way you’ll laugh at others’.
33. Learn to wait patiently until the problem is solved and think positively.
34. Sometimes to win you have to lose. Think about it.
35. You are not ‘other people’ and you shouldn’t always compare yourself to others.
36. Don’t overdo. Define feasible tasks, achieve them and feel happy about it.
37. Spending money on yourself is both pleasant and useful!
38. Only worthless people have no enemies. The more you’ve achieved the more secret and obvious enemies you have.
39. You have to be able to quit a bad job, leave off a boring book, stop chatting to people that irritate you. You have just one life and one shouldn’t spend it for minor things.
40. Envy is useless. You already have everything or will have everything you need in life.
41. Call your parents, family and relatives more often.
42. Give people presents, give them a part of yourself and they will reply you with the same.
43. Find a new hobby for yourself: dancing, embroidery, making plastic jewelry, etc.
44. Get yourself a pet that will make you happy each time you come home.
45. Remember you have all the best ahead of you!!!
47. Visualize the most unthinkable things!
48. Watch horror movies! It's very good to drive away depressive moods!
49. Read about Indian corruption stories! You will instantly feel happy that there is a hell on earth and you would thank god that you do not live there!
50. Surf net! It's amazing world!